For preemies and NICU babies, the breast milk can be an actual life-saver. Proper storage, specifically refrigeration, is essential for maintaining the quality and safety of this liquid gold.
Here’s what you need to know about properly storing breast milk to ensure that your baby is getting the safest, most nutrient-rich breast milk that you work so hard to provide.
Preserving Essential Nutrients
Breast milk is a powerhouse of vital nutrients—proteins, fats, vitamins, and antibodies—that are especially critical for your NICU baby’s development. Refrigeration acts as a safeguard against bacterial and enzymatic degradation, ensuring your breast milk retains its nutritional potency for longer periods. If you’re curious about the nutritional content of your breast milk, there nutritional analysis kits on the market like this one from Lactation Lab.
Keeping Bacteria at Bay
While breast milk is naturally nourishing, it’s also an organic substance that can harbor bacteria. Storing it at temperatures below 40°F (4°C) effectively hampers bacterial growth, minimizing risks of contamination and subsequent health issues for your fragile NICU baby.
Prolonging Shelf Life
The longevity of breast milk benefits significantly from refrigeration. Although it can sit at room temperature briefly, keeping it chilled allows for extended storage—up to several days. This is indispensable if you’re managing the demands of being both a working parent and a NICU parent.
Storage Guidelines to Consider
To ensure your breast milk’s safety, adhere to these fundamental practices:
- Use sterilized, purpose-specific containers for storing freshly pumped breast milk.
- Label each container with the date and time of pumping.
- Position the containers in the coldest sections of the refrigerator, commonly the back or bottom shelves.
- Regularly check to confirm your fridge’s temperature stays at or below 40°F (4°C).
- Skip storing breast milk in the door compartments where temperature consistency is unreliable.
- If you have a long drive to the NICU, consider a cooler with powerful insulation like the Cool Commuter, that acts as a portable refrigerator.
By following these tips, you can be assured that your precious breast milk remains fresh, nutritious, and safe for your tiny warrior.
Shop Milk Stork’s curated collection of products for NICU Parents here.