Hey there, incredible NICU parents! We know just how challenging and emotionally intense the NICU journey can be. That’s why we’re here with some tips on how to reach out to your employer for the support you deserve during this critical time.
Employer Support for NICU Families
1. Flexible Leave Policies: Your journey is unique, and so are your needs. Don’t hesitate to chat with your boss and HR team about flexible and extended leave options. This way, you can focus on your little one without added work stress.
2. FMLA and Parental Leave: Find out if your company complies with the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) for up to 12 weeks of protected leave. Also ask if there’s additional parental leave available to give you even more time to be with your precious one.
3. Remote Work and Flexible Hours: Work-life balance is essential, especially now. Discuss remote work possibilities or flexible hours with your employer to make it easier for you to be there for your NICU baby and all medical appointments.
4. Extended Healthcare Benefits: Your little fighter deserves the best care. Check with your Benefits Manager to understand your health insurance coverage, making sure it includes the necessary support for NICU care, appointments, and follow-up care.
5. Resource Information: Your HR department can be a treasure trove of helpful information. Don’t hesitate to ask about resources, support groups, and organizations that specialize in assisting families like yours during this time. This can also include mental health resources.
6. Temporary Workload Adjustment: If feasible, talk to your supervisor or team about lightening your workload temporarily. This can help reduce stress and allow you to dedicate more time and energy to your family.
Milk Stork for NICU Families
Milk Stork has your back too, NICU parents. Proper nutrition is critical to infant health and development, especially NICU babies. To help with the unique challenges of breastfeeding and pumping for your little one, Milk Stork has several options to support you:
- The Cool Commuter: A durable, reliable cooler that can transport your pumped breast milk safely to and from the NICU.
- Pump & Ship: If you’re receiving refrigerated donor milk or need to ship your pumped milk home from an out-of-state hospital, we’ve got you covered.
- Freeze & Ship: If you’re receiving frozen donor milk or shipping your frozen breast milk home. To maximize freezer space, we recommend Freeze It Flat by Mammaway.
- Breast Milk Nutritional Analysis Kits: For NICU parents, everyday is about numbers. Knowing the basic nutritional content of your breast milk like calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, and vitamins, can help you and your NICU team make empowered decisions.
Remember, NICU parenting is a journey, and on that you don’t have to do alone. Get the support you need, whether it’s from your friends, family, co-workers, or community. Your workplace can be an ally, and Milk Stork is here to make things a bit easier.
Shop the curated collection of Milk Stork products for NICU Parents here.